Board Shorts

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Christmas Cookies

I just pulled down a book called The Christmas Cookie Book written back in 1949. Read along with me from page 4 and get into the holiday spirit...


"During the Christmas baking, our big old kitchen, always the focal point of the household, took on exciting new values with a succession of tantalizing aromas. The essences of honey and cardamom, cinnamon and cloves, molasses and ginger, mingled with the heady ambrosia of rum and apricot brandy, and the fragrance of anise, the dark pungency of black walnuts, the almost cloying sweetness of almonds pounded with powdered sugar and egg white. Finally, as the magic day approached, the kitchen was redolent with the gentler scents of melting butter and carameling sugar, with now and then a whiff of nutmeg of mace or chocolate and vanilla."


Yum! I'm now ready to bake! I actually want to experiment with the German "springerle" cookies. This season I've heard 2 or 3 people talk about having them in their childhoods. I need to find the special rolling pin to make the designs on the cookies. Let me know if you've enjoyed these before!


No comments:

Post a Comment