Our first full day in Switzerland saw us heading out to the Swiss countryside. Cloudy and rainy but still breathtakingly beautiful! (David H. had to work...so you won't see him in our daily adventures in Switzerland!)
We headed away from the city of Geneva to the Cailler chocolate factory out in a small town to take a tour. Yum! Swiss chocolate! The best part was the chocolate tasting room. Really? I can eat anything I want? I was self-controlled and stuck mainly with my favorite...dark chocolate (add a touch of coffee flavor and it was a-m-a-z-i-n-g!).
Our second stop was the picturesque town of Gruyere that sits up in the mountains. Can you see it through the raindrops?
This is where Gruyere cheese is produced. Can you hear the tinkling of the little bells from the animals grazing on the hillsides?
What a cute town stuck in time. Loved all the cobblestones and adorable homes (and, of course, a few more cute windows!).
At lunchtime we headed up to Le Chalet Cafe. We had to have delicious fondue made of the famous Gruyere cheeses. Absolutely decadent!
This is a raclette. It warms the slab of cheese and so you can easily spread it onto your bread.
Look at all the fun things to dip into the yummy fondue!
There was way too much food for the three of us. But we gave it a very good try! I think I need this meal again very soon...I'm salivating at the memory.
Then it was time to head to the Chateux de Chillon over by the city of Montreux. This castle is from the 12th century and was lived in by the Counts of Savoy. It is supposedly Switzerland's best castle to visit. I loved it!

















Amazing how much older landmarks are in the rest of the world!
ReplyDelete