Florence! What an absolutely wonderful city to visit. In our very first hours in the city we were able to visit both the Uffizi Gallery (famous Renaissance art) and the Accademia (David statue and other Michelangelo works). Thank you, Rick Steve's Guidebook for the tips on reserving tickets and avoiding the long, hot lines outside:) I'm not an avid art lover, but I definitely enjoyed getting to learn a bit more about the marvelous works in the museums.
The Florence Duomo...several views of this very impressive church!
We climbed the Giotto's Tower early one morning and got a good view of the Duomo as well as the city and countryside.
We walked...and walked...and walked around Florence from early morning to late at night. There were so many churches, museums, and little stores that we visited.
Cute courtyard
Medici Chapel
San Miniato Church
We took a Rick Steve's Guidebook recommendation and stayed at this old convent. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved it! Old atmosphere, quiet, clean, friendly...what else could I want for the low price I paid? Plus, it has a great history dating back to the 15th century when it was a palace as well as in the last 100 years when it acted as a hospital for recovering soldiers in WW1 and hiding Nazi mothers and children during WW2.
Casa Santo Nome di Gesu
Entry area
My room - I loved this simple but spacious room (all but the hideous bedspread)
The convent's courtyard garden
This is from the inside of the Central Market. Loved getting to see all the fun Italian foods displayed --pastas, cheese, meats, fruits/veggies, etc. We needed a mid-morning snack so we stopped at a little coffee bar. Loved it!
There was a local man eating this crostone that I thought looked tasty and so I ordered one for myself. Scrumptious! The best burst of flavor the entire trip!! Everything was so perfectly fresh.
Loving the sights of the Ponte Vecchio Bridge along the Arno River at night.







No comments:
Post a Comment