Nelson Bell was a medical missionary who went to China in 1913 as a newly married doctor and raised his family for decades in China (Ruth Bell Graham being his daughter). He headed up the Love and Mercy Hospital as a talented doctor and surgeon. He was very concerned with meeting both the physical and spiritual needs of the Chinese people. I was mesmerized by his devotion to the Chinese people and his dependence on God for leading and protection. What impressed me the most was the dedication to the people he loved even in the midst of very dangerous circumstances of different wars and invasions when most foreigners fled the country.
Blanche Groves was a missionary educator and evangelist who went to China in 1920. When the communist forces came in 1950, Blanch moved to Hawaii. Longing for China, Blanche moved to Hong Kong, the closest place she could get to her beloved people. There she began a Bible study in Mandarin. I was really excited when I read that she was instrumental in the opening of Hong Kong University where I'll be staying this summer!
Blanch and Gladys were both single women who gave their entire lives to the cause of China. They felt the call and followed whole heartedly.
Though Gladys Aylward was turned down by missionary societies, she nevertheless raised the money herself to travel to China (traveling even through enemy lines) in 1930. Gladys ran an inn for travelers and even worked for the government as a "foot inspector" as part of their new ban on foot bindings. During the war with Japan she led nearly 100 orphans through the countryside to safety. There is an old movie about her called The Inn of the Sixth Happiness.
As I read about these people who sacrificed so much to live and serve in China, I see things have changed so much over the decades. While I complain about it taking so many hours to fly across the globe and being so tired at the end of my journey (which totals maybe one day or slightly longer) these past people traveled for days on end in very uncomfortable circumstances. While I can call home every day or email those that I love, these past people were quite disconnected from their families depending on infrequently delivered letters for updates. These people gave up the comforts of home to be where they felt called to be by God. They lived in China during times of great danger with kidnappings, bandits, and wartime...yet their great faith sustained them.
No comments:
Post a Comment