Board Shorts

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

I'm here! After many, many, many hours of long travel from Denver to Seattle to Beijing to Ulaanbaatar...I have arrived in Mongolia! Look at a map to follow my journey westward. I flew so far west on the map that you have to jump over to the east side of your map to find Mongolia! It is the 17th largest country in the world...but it only has 2.5 million people in the entire country (which is very few people for such a big country). You'll see that Mongolia is sandwiched between Russia to the north and China to the south. Can you find the name of the big desert located in the southern part of Mongolia?

Here is a picture of the airport in Ulaanbaatar. It is the main airport for the whole country. Amazingly, this airport is smaller than our airport in Lexington. The parking lot was even smaller than our parking lot at school!

Notice the name of the airport. You may have heard of a famous Asian warrior that we call Ghengis Khan. The Mongolians really revere him and have a slightly different spelling of his name.

This week I've been getting some extra training about Mongolian culture, language, and how to teach the material I'll be working with my students on this summer. I will be getting some good pictures to share with you once I have a little more time to get out and snap photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment